Last Saturday Gabrielle and I moved the chickies out of the pool and onto the floor. Because we are getting another flock in about two weeks, we moved this present flock onto the newer side of the coop because we wanted to keep the older side for brooding. The older side of the coop is more insulated and will keep the chicks warmer during their first week; the newer side (with the new floor) is better suited for the older chicks.
It didn’t take long to set up the new pen and move the chickens; after they had settled in, we cleaned the pool and swept the floors. The coop still looks messy–there are feed bags, blocks of wood, the grates, drivers, and tools– but I thought I’d show you pictures of the coop now because otherwise I might never do it!
When Dad and I were talking over the plans for the coop this spring, I really wanted something more permanent. But we soon realized that that wasn’t going to work this year. The coop needs to be sheltered and warm for the spring months, and then in the summer months it needs to be more open. With this in mind, we knew that we would have to redo parts of the coop during the summer. For the spring months we built a plywood front with a door on each side. We also built an overhang that shelters the front from the rain and a little from the wind. This has worked well, and it should be fairly easy to take down when the time comes.
Like I have mentioned before, there are two sides in the coop; we built a divider with a small door to separate the pens. Dad wired the coop, so we have outlets and lights- pretty ritzy! hehe 😉
Thank you for visiting A Homespun Country Life!